X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Movie Gimmicks

I just posted something about the current 3D trend, and it made me wonder what your favorite movie gimmick is/was. I've only got to experience a few. Aside from 3D, I was lucky enough to experience SENSURROUND back in the day (only used for a handful of movies---"Earthquake", "Midway", "Rollercoaster" and the theatrical release of the TV movie "Battlestar Galactica") and the John Waters film "Polyester" in Odorama (the scratch & sniff cards similar to the new "Spy Kids" flick in Aroma-Scope, I think). I have a vomit bag given out for showings of "Mark of the Devil" and an authentic "Illusion-O" viewer for the original showings of William Castle's "13 Ghosts" (later got to see it with the smaller version on DVD).

Anyone experience anything else? What other movie gimmicks would you like to see in the theater?
    Last edited by SuperMommy; 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM.

I have never experinced anything but 3D. I wish they would make things that would put you more into the movie.

Comment

The Ugly Truth is my favorite.

Comment

I am eagerly waiting for this movie to come up. I have planned to go for this movie with my friends,,!!

Comment

How about the cat that jumps out of nowhere and scares the $(#@ out of you? Of course the music is what really scares you but still - it's the cat. And that tired gimmick has been used successfully in hundreds of movies.

Comment

hey that was the one !

Comment

Getting back to the topic of movie gimmicks, I was just remembering the barf bags they gave out for MARK OF THE DEVIL. I actually have one of those. I'd heard there were vomit bags for THE EXORCIST, but have never actually seen one. I have what someone claimed was a vomit bag for TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, but I don't know if they are legit or every widely distributed. I do know there was an "UpChuck Cup" issued for the double feature of BLOOD-SPLATTERED BRIDE and I DISMEMBER MAMA (it's listed on the poster)--but have never seen one of those gems either.

Comment

When I feel bore then I like to watch Gimmick movies and these are my favorite list of Gimmick movies
                Super Niche Casting
                Punishment Poll
                Signoscope
                Eating Worms

Comment

i miss smellovision

Comment

I actually saw POLYESTER in a theater and still have my "Odorama" card. It was a scratch-n-sniff card with half nice smells and half nasty ones, like dirty gym shoes. And you REALLY didn't want to scratch #2, ha!

Comment

I have my Odorama card somewhere too. I recently found out that way back in the 60s, H.G. Lewis had vomit bags when "BLOOD FEAST" came out. I had NO IDEA and I'd LOVE to get one of those (I have a "Mark of the Devil" vomit bag...)

Comment

Originally posted by mosphiren View Post
                        The Ugly Truth is my favorite.
                        That's my favorite as well, soo love that movie

Comment

Seat shockers for The Tingler!

Comment

Haven't really had an experience with the movie gimmicks....except for the Harry Potter styled 3D glasses for the last film. THOSE ROCKED...and I might've kept mine. ^_^

Comment

Jason, I never saw "The Tingler" but it is the first movie gimmick that came to mind, past 3-D of course. I think that might have been one that had nurses standing by in case people were "overcome." I've also heard about one film, probably in the '50s or '60s, that had a plant in some audiences who would run down the aisle and out the door, screaming all the way. All that was before my time. My husband has a DVD of "Chamber of Horrors" (1966) that warned you in advance about the Fear Flasher and the Horror Horn. The screen would flash red and this claxon horn would sound prior to the most horrific scenes, so you could mentally prepare yourself, I guess. It makes a pretty good movie kind of silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X