Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same-sex Marriage... Accept or oppose?

So my state, New York, passed same-sex marriage earlier this month, making it the sixth state in America to allow gay marriage.

What's your opinion on same-sex marriage?
    How do you think this will affect the future of the United sates of America?

I'm not opposed to same sex relationships but I don't really agree with marriage. I have gay friends and straight friends and have no discrimination against either I don't want to see anyone making out or doing it straight or gay. As far as paperwork I think things should be kept the way they were originally written they were written that way for a reason.

Comment

im with shilohkitty90 on this. i dont really care what people do, as long as i dont have to see it (straight or gay), and i think things should be kept the way they are.

Comment

I agree with the above two posts.

Comment

I agree with all comments even though I'm a strong Christian. Same goes for TV shows, if it's in good taste I have no problem.

Comment

I don't have an issue with gay marriage as I don't really believe there is any logical reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

I mean, all this 'it will violate the sanctity of marriage' crap? What are the heterosexuals doing? Why is it okay for a heterosexual to get married multiple times but a loving gay couple are unable to?
            My country (Australia) doesn't allow same sex marriage but as the majority of us (62%) support it, there is huge pressure on the Prime Minister to relax her opposition to it.

@ shilohkitty90 - you said "As far as paperwork I think things should be kept the way they were originally written they were written that way for a reason"

This is true, but lets think about when that was actually written - probably many years ago when most people didn't even believe homosexuals existed! Society has changed, and we need to move with the times. Perhaps the Marriage Act could be rewritten?
            Last edited by MacGyver; 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I don't have an issue with gay marriage as I don't really believe there is any logical reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

I mean, all this 'it will violate the sanctity of marriage' crap? What are the heterosexuals doing? Why is it okay for a heterosexual to get married multiple times but a loving gay couple are unable to?
              My country (Australia) doesn't allow same sex marriage but as the majority of us (62%) support it, there is huge pressure on the Prime Minister to relax her opposition to it.

@ shilohkitty90 - you said "As far as paperwork I think things should be kept the way they were originally written they were written that way for a reason"

This is true, but lets think about when that was actually written - probably many years ago when most people didn't even believe homosexuals existed! Society has changed, and we need to move with the times. Perhaps the Marriage Act could be rewritten?
              Thats true, and I do agree with you BUT what ministers and other religious figures are saying about America is: What's next? three-some marriages? Marriages with animals?!

Which, by the way, sexual interactions with animals IS allowed in a few states, UNLESS it is proven that the animal was hurting. this is ridiculous, yes, but true.

Comment

Originally posted by MizzPelirrojo View Post
                Thats true, and I do agree with you BUT what ministers and other religious figures are saying about America is: What's next? three-some marriages? Marriages with animals?!

Which, by the way, sexual interactions with animals IS allowed in a few states, UNLESS it is proven that the animal was hurting. this is ridiculous, yes, but true.
                This is what the religious figures want you to believe. They want you to be scared and worry about the consequences if SSM is allowed. They want you to believe that if X happens, Y will automatically follow, and that isn't the case.

I don't have a problem with polygamous relationships but I highly doubt they'd be made legal. I don't think there is a demand for them.
                As for allowing 'relations' with an animal, this is wrong as the animal cannot consent.

I have heard claims from religious authorities that if SSM is allowed, we will have to allow people to marry their pets, and even allow pedophiles to marry children. This is ludicrous, as children and animals cannot consent to any sort of relationship - only two adults can.

They just want to frighten people. They fear SSM, they believe it is wrong, and they are doing all they can to turn you against it. Don't believe them!

Comment

Trueee! But Im still a Christian so I believe them :/ Because it sort of makes sense... many years ago you would have been thought of as INSANE if you mentioned SSM... and now people are saying all these other marriages are insane too, and that they wont happen. It could take 300 years, but it might!!!

Comment

i kinda agree with both sides of that argument. there's always gonna be someone trying to push the boundries, so you never know what will happen.

Comment

Trueee! But Im still a Christian so I believe them :/ Because it sort of makes sense... many years ago you would have been thought of as INSANE if you mentioned SSM... and now people are saying all these other marriages are insane too, and that they wont happen. It could take 300 years, but it might!!!
                      Good point, but where will we be in 300 years? We won't be here, so those will be problems that won't affect us, and therefore, I believe we shouldn't worry about them. Let the future generations work out what they want.

Comment

I am actually very offended by this comment whenever I hear it from anyone and really do hope you do not mean that on personal terms with yourself. Polygamy is allowed in some places, yes, but I don't care much about it to get into that one. However, to jump to the animal debate is one of the most ignorant things people can say. How dare anyone say that two same-sex human beings who are are in love with one another and wish to marry one another is ANYTHING CLOSE to a person trying to marry an animal! That is one of the most MORONIC things anyone could say and I will fight that to my grave.

I am 110% supportive of same-sex marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by littleputz114 View Post
                          I am actually very offended by this comment whenever I hear it from anyone and really do hope you do not mean that on personal terms with yourself. Polygamy is allowed in some places, yes, but I don't care much about it to get into that one. However, to jump to the animal debate is one of the most ignorant things people can say. How dare anyone say that two same-sex human beings who are are in love with one another and wish to marry one another is ANYTHING CLOSE to a person trying to marry an animal! That is one of the most MORONIC things anyone could say and I will fight that to my grave.

I am 110% supportive of same-sex marriage.
                          Well sorry for offending you, but I do not believe that what I said was that ignorant.

But we all have our own opinions because we all have our own brains, so think what you'd like but that's my opinion, and I do NOT think that it was moronic.

Comment

MacGyver-They were written a long time ago but homosexuality was around in ancient greece, bath houses were not just for getting clean. Homosexuality has been around for centuries so when things were written it wasn't an unknown subject.

I just think that if they want to do it it's their own business why should they force it on me by saying they don't have equal rights I don't force my religion on them saying that they are wrong because we don't believe in homosexuality. It just goes both ways it's a touchy subject and no one is wrong I just don't think they should be able to get married. Being gay isn't a race it's a lifestyle choice and what does is matter if they are married or not there are straight people that just live together their whole lives and never get married. Just saying they don't bother me I have gay friends but like everyone else that's my opinion nothing much we can do about it but it is good to talk about opinions and views and try to see all sides.

Comment

I very much accept same-sex marriage. I think it should be legal in America. As someone who is gay, I would very much like the opportunity to get married in the future. I can't guarantee that I will get married but I believe that I have every right to that option as anyone else.

The right to the pursuit of happiness is written in the foundation of our country. You're not guaranteed happiness but you are sure to be allowed to try and find it. I believe the right to marry someone of the same sex falls under this. Just getting married doesn't equal happiness but everyone should be able to get married and see if they can find it in the long run.

Currently, the major factor going against the legalization of gay marriage is religion. I'm appalled by this given the fact that it is written in America's constitution that there should be a separation of church and state. America is a melting pot of religions so it is a little unnerving to see primarily Christianity determining what is or isn't legal. It's unconstitutional.

As for Christianity itself and it's stance against homosexuality, I think it's worth pointing out that Leviticus - the passage that says homosexuality is wrong - also outlaws shellfish and wearing mixed fabrics. And isn't there something in there about tattoos and menstruation or is that another passage? My point is that people have decided that homosexuality is a true sin - but the other stuff is no big deal. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose from a religious text. You should accept either all of it or none of it.

The marriage ritual itself, yes, is traditionally rooted in religion, in presenting your love and commitment before whatever god you believe in. But, in the end, isn't marriage only about the love and commitment? Does the ceremony really matter in the end? Does god really drive a marriage? No. What matters is that the two people love each other and want to be together forever. Beyond that, everything that comes with a marriage is provided by the government - not the church.

I will never understand why people say that marriage is a religious thing and because religion outlaws homosexuality, gay marriage can't be allowed. A) Separation of church and state. B) Religion outlaws a whole lot more and allows a whole lot more but we're allowed to pick and choose what is relevant/important?

Also, I just feel compelled to throw this out there: as a gay male, I can personally attest to the fact that my sexuality is not a lifestyle choice. I didn't wake up one day and decide to pursue men - it's something that was in me. Honestly, part of me wishes I was straight just so I could lead an easier life but I can't just choose to be straight. I'd be denying who I am and what I want in life and love. So the argument that allowing gay marriage will suddenly lead to human-animal relationships and polygamy is ridiculous and insulting.

And, furthermore, heterosexual marriage is true, pure marriage? Really? With divorce rates up and cheating on the rise and drunken marriages and all that jazz? Homosexuals getting married will have no affect on marriage as a whole that heterosexuals don't already have. It will affect no one, period, except homosexuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X