Get Ready to Geek Out – [email protected] Officially Starts!
San Diego Comic-Con is going digital as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is the first time in its 50-year-history that it isn’t in person, but, don’t despair, there are going to be over 350 digital panels on Zoom, where we will be able to learn more about our favorite upcoming shows and movies.
The long-awaited The New Mutants will be having a panel. The director and stars will discuss introducing the horror-thriller genre to the X-Men Universe. The cast includes Game of Throne’s Maisie Williams, Stranger Things’ Charlie Heaton, and many others who will be joined by the director and writer of the film, Josh Boone on the panel.
There will also be a panel for BBC/HBO’s His Dark Materials, where the cast and executive producers Jane Tranter and Jack Thorne will discuss the hit drama series.
Additionally, there will be a panel for the highly-anticipated season 2 of Amazon Prime’s The Boys. The panel promises to give us a sneak peek into the second season and to include a special appearance by executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.
But there’s more!
After the release of Netflix’s massively popular The Old Guard, actress and producer Charlize Theron will be coming onto Zoom and telling us about her two decades worth of action heroes, from Mad Max: Fury Road to Atomic Blonde. Who doesn’t want to hear about her film experiences kicking a**?
Another one of the highly-anticipated panels is HBO’s Lovecraft Country. This show is executive produced by Jordan Peele, J.J. Abrams, and Misha Green, who is also the showrunner. This series is based on Matt Ruff’s 2016 novel of the same name. It follows a young African American man who travels through 1950s segregated USA searching for his missing father. With such big names producing the series, it is sure to be a hit.
And finally, how could we forget about the Walking Dead? It will be a triple feature of three panels in a row, starting with AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead, then AMC’s The Walking Dead, and finishing off with the new spinoff, The Walking Dead: World Beyond. We’ll finally be told when the delayed season 10 finale of the original show will air. We’ll also learn all about the new spin-off and what to expect. Three hours of Walking Dead? What could be better?
As I mentioned before, there are over 350 panels, so if you want to know more about the specifics of these events, check out the Comic [email protected] website. Now go and watch those panels!
Need additional information? We’ve got additional resources for you below! And be sure to head over to our Forums for more details – and to geek out with fellow C0n-goers!
- YouTube will host over 350 of SDCC’s panels and programs, and beginning at 7:00pm PDT on Friday, July 24, that’s where you’ll find the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards.
- GoExpo by Community Brands will host the Online Exhibit Hall, with approximately 700 exhibitors offering a variety of cool fan-centric merchandise.
- Be sure to visit the Portfolio Review page on the [email protected] website!
- SDCC will also have Gaming which will live on the Discord platform and feature a number of interactive gems, including Wyvern Gaming/Stargate and Legion M/Joe Manganiello’s DEATH SAVES.
- If you’re looking for a souvenir from [email protected], be sure to visit the Merch store for the official Comic-Con T-shirt (art provided by DC Comics) as well as lots of Comic-Con and Comic-Con Museum related merchandise.
- Amazon and Prime Video are official sponsors of [email protected] and will be treating fans to additional activities from a variety of Amazon-owned platforms through their Amazon Virtual-Con portal. Prime Video is also the official sponsor of the Comic-Con 2020 print-at-home badge, which will allow participants to print and wear their free badge as well as take part in many of the fun fan activities.
- Tumblr will serve as the platform for both the Comic-Con Art Show and the always popular Comic-Con Masquerade. The 46th annual Masquerade will open for viewing Friday, July 24, and winners will be announced on Saturday, July 25.
- For this year, the Robert A. Heinlein Blood Drive will be a 26-day drive, starting Wednesday, July 22, and ending on Sunday, August 16. All blood collected on those dates will be credited to the Comic-Con Robert A. Heinlein Blood Drive.
- Collaborator and sponsor IGN will stream roughly 34 [email protected] panels as well as produce extensive hosted shoulder content, hosted interviews and more, all in support of the online initiative.
- Films and Anime will live on the Scener Watch Party platform. Scener is a Chrome browser plug-in that will allow fans the ability to simultaneously watch and discuss movies and anime. Funimation will also exclusively host all of the Anime watch parties including Black Clover and Fruits Basket. Don’t have a Funimation account? No problem, as Funimation is offering a six-week free account! Just use the code: CCHOME20.
- FX will unveil the digital experience FX UNLOCKED, where fans will engage with virtual activations for American Horror Story, What We Do in The Shadows, Cake and DAVE.
- FutureTechLive! returns for a fifth year to present the virtual “World Builders” activation, featuring content by a global community of creators.
- Comic-Con Museum is offering a variety of activities and tutorials throughout the [email protected] weekend and beyond.
- Don’t forget to check out the online version of the 260-page Souvenir Book, which is available as a free, downloadable PDF!
Stay tuned for more details as [email protected] gets underway!!