HBO confirmed the addition of 9 new Game of Thrones characters at Comic-con 2014 today and it looks like, as previously speculated, we’ll be spending a lot of time in Dorne this season, following Prince Oberyn’s death.
There are a mixture of new and familiar names on the list but, as the casting hasn’t let us down just yet, we have faith that these new additions will slip into their roles as effortlessly as Pedro Pascal did with that of Oberyn Martell.
Continue reading for HBO’s official casting descriptions:
- Alexander Siddig as Doran Martell, the ruling lord of Dorne, which is located in the southern part of Westeros, and the older brother of Prince Oberyn. Unlike his brother, Doran is even-tempered and deliberate and Dorne residents will want to see how he reacts to his brother’s death.
- Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell, Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. He was betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance), who was killed by his son, Tyrion (Peter Dinklage), in the season finale.
- Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon. She is officially the eldest child of Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey) and the late King Robert Baratheon, but her real father is Cersei’s brother, Jaime Lannister (NIkolaj Coster-Waldau). For years, she has been a guest and ward of Prince Doran in Dorne, but her position has become tenuous with the death of Oberyn Martell, the Prince’s brother.
- DeObia Oparei as Areo Hotah, the long-serving captain of Doran Martell’s palace guard. He is renowned for his loyalty and his long axe.
- Enzo Cilenti as Yezzan, who was an extremely wealthy slave trader before Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) outlawed the slave trade.
- Jessica Henwick as Nymeria (“Nym”) Sand, who is the second eldest of Oberyn’s bastard daughters. Her mother was an Eastern noblewoman who brought Nym up to be cultured, graceful and deadly with a whip.
- Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand, who is the daughter of the late Oberyn Martell by Ellaria Sand, his final paramour. Tyene is fiercer than she looks, especially with her twin daggers.
- Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand, who is a fearsome warrior and the eldest bastard daughter of Oberyn Martell. Her mother was a Dornish peasant girl who caught the eye of the late Prince.
- And Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow, a devout and pious man who came to King’s Landing to serve those forgotten by much of the world – the poor, the downtrodden and the infirm – and quickly amassed a large following.
What do you think of the season 5 casting? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!