It’s official, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has become the highest grossing domestic film of all time, earning more than Avatar (lifetime gross $760.5 million) in only 20 days since its release. In addition to that, the film has also crossed the $800 million mark at the international box office.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted on December 18, 2015 in the US and Canada. In its first two weeks it pushed the domestic annual industry box office to an all-time high of $11 billion, but that’s not the only records the film broke.
Take a full look at all the records Star Wars: The Force Awakens has broken below!
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Records Broken
- Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
- Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall moviegoing weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
- Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
- Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
- Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
- Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
- Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
- Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
- Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
- Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
- Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)
Named one of AFI’s top 10 films of 2015, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has now debuted in all international markets. The film was released yesterday (January 9, 2016) in China.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in