- MemberFanFebruary 11, 2021 at 2:09 pm
We all have favorite books we hope will get turned into movies or TV shows but are not always happy with how they turn out. Sometimes they really get it and sometimes they miss the mark. Please shout out about your top ones on either side!
1. No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (gets it right) – If you have not read it, this is such a good book. The Coen Brothers did an amazing job that when I read it again I picture the people from the movie. I can just imagine one Coen Brother reading the book aloud while the other types it into screenplay format. It’s pretty much that dead-on accurate.
2. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (gets it wrong) – I had high hopes with this one and Spielberg directing to boot but was hugely disappointed. They took out so many of the “Easter Egg” moments and added new stuff that didn’t fit it drove me crazy. The race at the beginning set the tone and I literally had to force myself to finish it because it was so way off in so many areas.
3. Game of Thrones by George RR Martin (started right and then fell apart) – I realize this is very controversial. Based on the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series by Martin this series started off strong and the first 4-5 seasons were great and largely came from the source material for storylines. After that, they kind of made it up on their own (with a little guidance from Martin) and to somebody that has read all of the books, it really fell apart. Story lines were abandoned (even things brought up earlier in the show!), characters were discarded, and the ending wasn’t built up enough to feel natural. Plus, all of the stuff that got cut could have made another 3-4 seasons instead of rushing to wrap up so quickly. I started off a fan and ended very disappointed.
- MemberLevel 1February 11, 2021 at 8:41 pm
That is some great stuff you have listed here. I love the book ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ and thought they did an amazing job of bringing it to the big screen. It is not too often you find that to happen as you know.
- MemberModeratorMay 3, 2021 at 11:44 am
Clan of the cave bear was the only movie made based on the earth children series. The movie was ok I personally enjoyed the book series.
Roswell high series based on the og Roswell series was good there are some difference between the series but a bit close.
True blood and the series Sookie Stackhouse are close also.
- MemberLevel 1May 4, 2021 at 11:12 am
I thought they did a great job as well of bringing ‘The Hunger Games’ to the screen – the first novel that is. The others were ok. But it got me excited about seeing how the other books would be when brought to the screen.
- MemberLevel 1May 4, 2021 at 11:14 am
Oh some others I just thought about – ‘It’, ‘Wild’, and ‘World War Z.’ All great novels and film adaptations in my opinion.
- MemberFanMay 11, 2021 at 4:06 pm
So, I just finished the book “Jaws” by Peter Benchley. Pretty interesting. Some changes that I really noted. In the book Hooper (the shark expert played by Richard Dreyfuss) is young and dashing and has an affair with the Chief’s wife. His story also ends a very different way. Quint still dies but in a different way more reminiscent of Moby Dick. Fairly short, about 300 pages. I was just curious about it and wanted to read to see the differences. Found it interesting.
Log in to reply.