Forum Rules & Guidelines
Hi everyone! Welcome to FanBolt Forums! We’re here to geek out with you about the fandoms you know and love, but we also want to make sure that this is a positive and inclusive environment for all our members, so we have a few guidelines to get you started!
If you have any questions – please let us know. We’re excited to have you here, and whether you’ve joined our community yet or not – we hope you’ll have fun geeking out on our forums!
Basic Forum Rules
- Be Nice: First and foremost – and above all – respect one another and be kind. There’s enough negativity in the world, and there’s no place for it on FanBolt. While it’s perfectly fine to disagree and debate – treat others with the same kindness and respect you want to be treated with. Bullying will not be tolerated – and if it occurs, the account in violation will be suspended.
- No Advertisements or Spam: You are not allowed to post advertisements or spam of any kind here on the forums. Solicitation of any kind, unless pre-approved by FanBolt Staff, is not permitted. If you ignore this rule, it will result in your account being suspended.
- One Account to Rule Them All: Well, not to rule them all – but no registering multiple accounts – members should only have one account.
- Do Not Use Language or Imagery That Is Inappropriate: If you’re a foul-mouthed sailor… well, you’re not alone, but please put an * in your f***ing post, alright? 🙂 Don’t share or post content that is inappropriate for those 17 and under. Let’s keep it classy, San Diego (and everywhere else). This also applies to your profile images.
- No Illegal Links: Do not post links to download Movies, TV Shows, or Music. No exceptions. You can post links to YouTube, but do not upload these files to FanBolt and do not share links where full movies and TV shows can be downloaded. We are not a torrent.
- No Copyright Images: Didn’t take it? Don’t post it. Copyrighted images are not allowed. Want to share a photo that you didn’t take? Include a link to it.
Have a Problem?
- Member Conflict: If you have a problem with another member, please reach out to a staff member, we’ll be happy to work with you to resolve the issue.
- Staff Conflict: Not feeling a specific staff member? Reach out to Emma – She is happy to help. And as she’s said before, this is one big geek family. We may not always agree, but it’s important to deal with issues and handle them as they arise.
- No Spoilers: What is a spoiler? It’s anything that may spoil something for someone – like the end of the movie or a surprise from a TV show. No spoilers are allowed. However, if you want to talk about these plot points – start a new topic/thread for them – keep the title relevant but without actual details that may spoil the content for fans and then include [SPOILERS] in the name of the topic/thread. Do this, and you’ve created a safe space. 🙂
- No Duplicate Topics/Threads: We all want to geek out in the same place, am I right? So do a quick scan of topics (or threads) to make sure there’s not already one started for what you want to talk about. If there is, and you start a new one, we’ll either merge it together with the original thread or delete yours. It’s nothing personal. We just like to keep things organized. It brings us joy. 🙂
- Off-Topic?: Feel your conversation steering away from the original topic of the post? Head over to our General Forum and go OT to your heart’s content – or feel free to private message a member directly. And because we love the late 90’s – know that we’re also working on a chat room feature for real-time conversations. ASL? We’re all about the nostalgia! But again, keep it classy. 🙂
- Post Meaningful Stuff: a.k.a Don’t post solely to increase your post count or collect badges – if you do, your rank or badges could be revoked, and your posts could be perceived as spam – resulting in your account being suspended.
Got Questions, We Got Answers:
- Information Forum: We have an Info Forum where you can ask any questions you have or ask for any help or site support that you need.
- Requests: Feel strongly we should have a forum for something? We want you to be happy! Post in our Request Forum and let us know. All appropriate requests that have at least 25 people supporting them will be granted.
- Member Levels and Badges: What are Member Levels? What does it take to get to the next level? What are Badges? How do you earn them? Refer to the links included, and note, there are also links on the right sidebar of every page of the forum.
Also, some Badges are awarded at the discretion of the Staff. And not all of the badges are listed on the Badges page. We will also be continually introducing new Badges, so keep checking in and collect as many of them as you can!
- Partner Forums: Does your website or company want to have a Partner Forum hosted by FanBolt? Reach out to me directly at [email protected] – I’d love to chat with you about the options!
- Break Something?: Did you break the site? Find a bug? Or just find something super not user-friendly? Reach out to me at [email protected], private message me, or post in the Info Forum.
Meet the Geeks
- Emma: The OG Geek Girl, who founded FanBolt in 2002 and still runs it today. She’s pretty rad, and she’s also the one writing this and referring to herself in third-person ;). Emma is on the site every day (with few exceptions), and she’s here to help with any site or forum issues you may have.
- Moderator Name: Intro and responsibilities
Lastly, if you know you shouldn’t post something (or will likely get in trouble), please don’t post it. FanBolt is a safe space for everyone – regardless of your gender, race, age, sexual preference, or fandoms that you love. We are a geek family.
If you break these rules, you will be suspended from the site. If you have a question about whether or not something is appropriate to post, please feel free to reach out to Emma via private message (click on her username and message her from her profile). She’s here to help! 🙂 (And outside of the general rule posting, she promises not to talk about herself in third-person.)
Thank you for joining FanBolt and joining our geek family! Have fun, and keep it geeky!