TNT got the fall television season off to a roaring start with the Monday launch of its newest original series, RAISING THE BAR. A record-setting 7.7 million viewers and 5.7 million households tuned in last night to the premiere episode, making it ad-supported cable’s #1 new series launch of all time, according to Nielsen Cable Fast Nationals. The series also garnered 2.8 million adults 18-49 and 3.5 million adults 25-54, making it ad-supported cable’s top new series launch for the year-to-date.
“We are proud RAISING THE BAR is off to such a strong start, with a record-breaking series premiere,” said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. “RAISING THE BAR is an important part of TNT’s ongoing plans to take on broadcast networks by increasing our lineup of high-profile, original series. With the strength of the TNT brand and three solid, broadcast-level hits in RAISING THE BAR, THE CLOSER and SAVING GRACE, we are well on the way to achieving our goals.”
“The outstanding launch of RAISING THE BAR shows that great things can happen when you work with the best in the business,” said Michael Wright, senior vice president in charge of the Content Creation Group for TNT, TBS and TCM. “There’s no question that Steven Bochco is among the top talents in television. Working with David Feige and a spectacular cast and crew, Steven has created a series that resonates with TNT’s audience of drama lovers.”
The commercial-free premiere of RAISING THE BAR received strong support from its lead-in, THE CLOSER, which is averaging 7.2 million viewers for the season-to-date and continues to rank as ad-supported cable’s #1 series of all time.
Ratings highlights for last night’s series launch of RAISING THE BAR include:
- RAISING THE BAR scored a 5.9 coverage household rating/5.0 national household rating.
- The series premiere was watched by 7,735,000 viewers and 5,709,000 households, ranking as ad-supported cable’s #1 new series launch of all time in those categories.
- The telecast also scored 2,837,000 adults 18-49 and 3,471,000 adults 25-54, ranking as ad-supported cable’s top new series launch for the year-to-date.
- In setting a new series launch record, RAISING THE BAR outpaced the 2005 series launch of TNT’s THE CLOSER among households (5,259,000) and the 2004 series launch of USA’s The 4400 among viewers (7,407,000).
- In ranking as ad-supported cable’s top new series launch for the year-to-date, RAISING THE BAR supplanted USA’s In Plain Sight among viewers (5,253,000); households (3,809,000); adults 18-49 (2,298,000); and adults 25-54 (2,567,000).
RAISING THE BAR is executive-produced by Steven Bochco (NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues, LA Law) and stars Mark-Paul Gosselaar (NYPD Blue), Gloria Reuben (ER) and Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle). The drama series follows the lives and cases of young lawyers who work on opposite sides – the public defender’s office and the district attorney’s office – as well as those who sit in judgment on their cases.
RAISING THE BAR co-stars Teddy Sears (Ugly Betty), Melissa Sagemiller (Sleeper Cell), Currie Graham (Boston Legal), J. August Richards (Conviction) and Jonathan Scarfe (Into the West). Created by Bochco and lawyer/writer David Feige (author of Indefensible), it comes to TNT from ABC Studios and Bochco Media, with Bochco serving as executive producer. Bochco and Feige wrote the story for the pilot episode, and Feige wrote the script. The pilot was directed by Jesse Bochco (The Closer), who also serves as co-executive producer.