Daisy Ridley says Star Wars: Episode VIII does not yet have an official title. The 24-year-old actress is reprising her role as Rey in the sci-fi sequel and although shooting has wrapped on the Disney and Lucasfilm production she, and the rest of the cast, are still in the dark as to what it will be called.
Making an appearance on the My Dad Wrote a Porno podcast, Daisy admitted there was a working title used ahead of filming commencing but she doesn’t think it’s the movie’s final moniker.
She said: “I heard a title, and I’m not sure if it’s going to be that. I really don’t know much about anything. I have heard it, but I heard it a long time ago before we started filming. So I feel like some things have tweaked slightly during (production), but it’s going to be a while before it’s released, I’d imagine.”
The lack of a title for Episode VIII should not come as a major shock as Lucasfilm did not give Star Wars: The Force Awakens its official title until November 2014, which was 13 months before the film eventually came out in December 2015.
Star Wars: Episode VIII – directed by Rian Johnson – will hit cinemas on December 15, 2017.
Little is known about the hugely anticipated blockbuster but Daisy’s co-star John Boyega has hinted that Rian is bringing a “darker” story to the big screen than what was seen in the preceding film.
The 24-year-old actor – who will returning as his heroic alter ego Finn – previously said: “Rian Johnson is great. It’s a different take, darker, bigger. Someone will say, ‘How do you get bigger than ‘Force Awakens?’, But it’s crazy.”
Admitting his and everyone else’s lips have to be sealed on the plot, he revealed: “Disney has spies everywhere. If I answer these questions I get killed and then I’m not in episode nine.”
Star Wars fans will be getting their fix of action from “a galaxy far, far away” this year when spin-off film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is released on December 16.