Note: Subaru provided me with a 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport for one week to review along with a gift card for gas. I did not receive any other form of compensation. All views and opinions expressed in this article are my own.
With Baby Driver hitting theaters this Friday, and all of the amazing car scenes that the trailer has teased us with – I was more than psyched to check out Subaru’s 2017 Impreza! When the car arrived, I discovered it was going to be the 2.0i Sport model that I would be spending my next week with, and almost instantly I felt like a different person behind the wheel. Let me tell you how much of a bad*** driver direct fuel injection makes you feel like… Driving goes from being something you have to do to get from Point A to Point B – to be something you truly enjoy with this car.
The all-new 2017 Subaru Impreza is available in a 4-door sedan or versatile 5-door styles; both available in base, Premium, Sport and Limited trim lines. It’s the longest-lasting vehicle in its class, with 97% of Imprezas sold in the last 10 years still being on the road today.
So what does the 2017 model offer that sets it apart? Let’s start with the debut of SUBARU STARLINK™ safety and security features as well as AppsNew Subaru design language. STARLINK 8.0” Multimedia Plus system includes 8-inch multi-touch high-resolution display, smartphone integration with
Apple CarplayTM and Android AutoTM; AhaTMand Pandora®, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and text connectivity and audio streaming, AM/FM stereo, single-disc CD player, 6 speakers, voice activated controls, Near Field Communication, SiriusXM® All Access Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link® (4 month complementary subscriptions), etc…
It’s pretty tech savvy with the entertainment offerings – but more importantly it’s also on top of the safety and security tech features as well, offering features like the award-winning EyeSight Driver Assist technology, Pre-Collision Braking, and (new to Impreza for 2017) Lane Assist systems.
So let’s get down to business and talk my top 5 favorite features.
It was a bit of a challenge to only pick five features to highlight as my favorite, but here’s what I loved most about the 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport.
This actually really surprised me, as I owned the same car for 17 years and just parted from it last April (the car was actually older than that as it was a 96′) – so power isn’t something that I’m really used to having. I’m more the wait until all other cars have passed me, and then I’ll go – so I can be sure my car won’t struggle to keep up. You put behind the wheel of a car with direct fuel injection…. I’m literally a new person.
At first this was a big change for me, I wasn’t sure I liked having that much power, but about 3 days in – I realized how much more I was enjoying driving. It’s a powerful car, and one that’s just really fun to drive.
I really loved the displays on this car and all the real-time information that it showcased. Knowing exactly how many miles per gallon I’m getting at all times helps to make me a better driver (which I needed having the direct fuel injection as I still wanted to get the best gas mileage I could)- and tech-wise that feature was probably my favorite on the whole vehicle.
Yes, that’s actually what the back of my loaner vehicle looked like. I loved the car, but I still can’t stop laughing about being a driving advertisement for a week… While I wasn’t crazy about the aesthetics of the back of my Impreza, I did love the backup camera on this car was probably my favorite that I’ve encountered so far in my reviewing of vehicles. I felt like I had a better awareness of how much space I had behind me when I was backing up – which was incredibly useful considering that this was a little bit larger car body than I’ve been used over the last few months.
The interior of this car makes you feel like you’re in a luxury car. The design is simply beautiful – from the lines to the fabric – and there’s even heated seats on the 2.0i Sport which is also a must for me. There’s something about driving with the air conditioner on but also having the seat warmers on that I absolutely love. It might be the most efficient way to drive – but it creates the perfect level of comfort for me.
The leather wrapped steering wheel and shift handle is also a feeling of luxury. And while I wasn’t taking advanta of the optional add-on with the Lineartronic CVT with 7-speed manual shift mode with paddle shift control switches – the paddle shift controls were nicely designed into the wheel if I was a driver that in fact new how to drive a manual to take advantage of that. All in all, I really appreciated the customization of the inside of the vehicle – you can create the perfect environment for yourself – whether you’re the geek girl on the go like me – or if you’re wanting to act out scenes from Baby Driver (which I certainly don’t recommend – but it shows you how powerful and comfortable of a car this is).
Nothing but sky… The moonroof is a must for me. Being able to bring the outside inside – whether it’s just a nice day outside or if I just want a little extra atmospheric glow to my surroundings. It’s not anything super fancy or unique to this one model – but I absolutely love it.
Geek Girl Review Video: 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport
All in all, the 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport got a 4.5 out of 5 “Geek Out” factor from me. It offers a powerful and stylish vehicle that is complimented by incredible comfortable and some pretty awesome tech features that are totally worth nerding out over. Take a look below at the key features and standard features with this car – and let us know in the comment section if you have a Impreza and what your experience has been. Share with us your thoughts and the adventures you’ve taken!
Key Features on the 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport
- Sport-tuned suspension with Stablex dampers
- Active Torque Vectoring
- Five-speed manual transmission with STI short throw shifter
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 all-season tires
- Active Grille Shutter
- All-Weather Package with 2-stage heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer
- Aluminum-alloy pedal covers
- High Grade Multi-Function Display
- Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift handle
- Rear roof spoiler
- Sound insulation windshield
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual pressure display
- STARLINK 8.0” Multimedia Plus system, includes 8-inch multi-touch high-resolution display; smartphone integration with Apple CarplayTM and Android AutoTM; AhaTMand Pandora®; Bluetooth® hands-free phone and text connectivity and audio streaming; AM/FM stereo; single-disc CD player; 6 speakers; voice activated controls; Near Field Communication; SiriusXM® All Access Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link® (4 month complementary subscriptions)
- STARLINK Cloud Apps including iHeart® Radio, StitcherTM, Calendar, Music Player, News, and Weather
- STARLINK Connected Services, including one-year complimentary subscription to STARLINK Safety Plus package; morecomprehensive STARLINK Safety Plus & Security Plus package available
Standard Features on the 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport
- Revised 2.0-liter 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER® engine with direct fuel injection
- Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Brake Assist and Brake Override systems
- Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbags, front seat side pelvis/torso airbags, side curtain airbags with rollover sensor and driver’s knee airbag: 7 airbags total
- 60/40 split fold down rear seatback
- Digital clock and outside temperature gauge
- Electronic power assist steering
- Headlights/parking lights auto-off with ignition
- Incline Start Assist
- Power windows: driver’s and front passenger’s one-touch auto up/ down with off-delay and pinch protection
- Power door locks
- Power exterior mirrors
- Rear-Vision Camera
Stay tuned for more Geek Girl Reviews – and let us know what cars you’d really like for us to review in our comment section below!
Note: Subaru provided me with a 2017 Subaru Impreza for one week to review and a gift card for gas. I did not receive any other form of compensation. All views and opinions expressed in this article are my own.