To celebrate Women’s History Month, SYFY is taking things to a whole new level and setting the bar high for all other networks (and brands in general). They are honoring women who have influenced fandom with a multi-platform campaign called “We are Her(oes)”. The campaign will feature female-focused content each day for the whole month of March.
The network’s female-focused brand, FANGRRLS, will spotlight content created for and by women all across SYFY’s linear, digital and social platforms – including original programming and podcasts, marathons and stunts, fresh SYFY WIRE editorial, redesigned branding, and unique custom content.
It doesn’t stop there, though. SYFY wants to grow its FANGRRLS brand throughout 2020 and so forth. To do this, they’ll be increasing the video, podcast and editorial content made by and for a broad range of women and binary voices.
“Fandom is about coming together to rally around our passions, no matter who you are,” said Sandy Deane, Senior Vice President, SYFY WIRE, who also oversees SYFY FANGRRLS. “At SYFY, we celebrate women every day, but this month we’re going all out to honor those trailblazers who’ve influenced genre, storytelling, fandom and the creative arts in inspiring ways. We want to change the narrative around female fandom and give women a platform to celebrate their passions and join the conversation — not just this March, but all year long.”
Here are all the details that we have on the campaign:
We Are Her(Oes) Full Campaign:
Throughout the month, SYFY’s original programming, movie stunts, and new podcasts will highlight influential women of genre, including:
- “Forgotten Women of Genre” Podcast (Available starting Monday, 3/2, here) — Season 2 of the popular SYFY FANGRRLS podcast will pay homage to 20 women who were instrumental in the genre, with 20 new episodes airing throughout March
- WYNONNA EARP “Fan-Favorites” Marathons (Friday, 3/6 from 6:30-9:30 am; Friday, 3/20 from 6:30-10:30 am; Friday, 3/27 from 6-9 am on SYFY) — Marathons of SYFY’s cult-favorite series WYNONNA EARP, leading up to an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming Season 4 during the network’s 20 WOMEN TO WATCH IN 2020 special (see below)
- “MAN-SEL in Distress” Movie Marathon (Sunday, 3/8 from 9 am-11:30 pm on SYFY) — Action movie marathon showcasing strong female characters who are the heroines of their stories — saving the men in distress. Airing on International Women’s Day, titles include Mad Max: Fury Road, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider; Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life; Zombieland; X-Men: First Class; Power Rangers (PROMO: https://youtu.be/WQLZo7GXmvQ)
- VAGRANT QUEEN Series Premiere (Friday, 3/27 at 10/9c on SYFY) — The premiere of this new 10-episode series kicks off a female-focused night of originals on SYFY. Based on the comic book series from Vault Comics, VAGRANT QUEEN is created by an all-female team of writers and directors
- 20 WOMEN TO WATCH IN 2020 Documentary Special (Friday, 3/27 at 11/10c on SYFY, directly following the VAGRANT QUEEN premiere) — This FANGRRLS original documentary special spotlights rising women across film, TV, and comics who will make an impact in the genre in 2020
FANGRRLS was created in 2016 by Editor Cher Martinetti. It’s a female-focused vertical that features a broad range of women and nonbinary voices. It celebrates the diverse world of science fiction, fantasy, genre, and STEM. FANGRRLS is all about geek culture and emphasizes its stories for women, by women, and about women.
“Our goal is authenticity first and foremost. Our voice and coverage is layered like female fans are. We are funny, serious, and sincere all at once. We believe that sci-fi, fantasy and genre has power, and that its influence on society and culture should not be underestimated. We believe in being the change we want to see in fan culture.”
Keep a lookout for all the women-centered content coming to SYFY starting March, 1st. Let us know what you’re looking forward to most in the comments below!