One of my favorite film festivals is this weekend, the Rome International Film Festival. RIFF is a four day festival for filmmakers and the community to watch films from Georgia and around the world, attend workshops to learn from professionals in the industry, and attend parties for networking and fellowship. RIFF began as the Dahlonega International Film Festival in 2003, before moving to the city of Rome in 2006. RIFF is celebrating its 15th year in operation.
This year’s special guest is actor Judge Reinhold. Judge Reinhold has an impressive list of work, spanning almost 40 years and over 75 film and TV shows including ‘Stripes,’ ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High,’ ‘Ruthless People,’ and Disney’s Christmas franchise, ‘The Santa Clause’ 1, 2 & 3. ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ 1, 2, 3. In 1994, Reinhold was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series on an episode of ‘Seinfeld.’
Judge Reinhold will be headlining the 2018 Rome International Film Festival with two special screenings throughout the weekend: ‘Over Her Dead Body’ (originally titled ‘Enid is Sleeping’) on Friday, Nov. 2nd, and the comedy classic ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ on Saturday, Nov. 3rd.
The festival is showing the horror film ‘The Millbrook Summoning,’ as a special, pre-festival event on Wed. Oct. 31st, Halloween night.
- Thursday, Nov. 1 7:00 pm ‘White Tide: The Legend of Culebra’ (2018) Documentary about a desperate man who goes on a buried treasure hunt for 2 million dollars worth of cocaine.
- Friday, Nov. 2 11:00 am ‘Liyana’ (2017) Combining live action and animation, Liyana is about five children in Swaziland who use their imagination to create an original African tale about a girl on a dangerous quest.
- Friday, Nov. 2 1:00 pm ‘Holden On’ (2017) Based on a true story, Holden is a small-town football player, fights to keep his mental illness a secret.
- Friday, Nov. 2 6:30 pm ‘When Jeff Tried to Save the World’ (2018) When the manager of an old-school bowling alley discovers that the owner plans to seel, Jeff tries everything to save Winky’s World Bowling Alley.
- Saturday, Nov. 3 3:30 pm ‘Shakespeare Behind Bars’ Twenty inmates in a Kentucky prison form a Shakespearean acting troupe.
- Saturday, Nov. 3 7:00 pm ‘In the Moment ‘ (2018) Even though she has no experience, Alexis moves to Atlanta join a renowned actor’s theatrical school.
- Sunday, Nov. 4 1:00 pm ‘Down and Yonder’ (2018) Two friends who have lived all their lives in a small southern town are forever changed when one of them decides to move away.
- Sunday, Nov. 4 5;30 pm ‘Miss Arizona’ (2018) When a former Miss Arizona decides to change her boring life, she begins teaching life skills to inmates in a woman’s prison.
For more information about the Rome International Film Festival, go to www.riffga.com