Mythbusters is back for a brand new season of explosive science-y goodness! Fresh off its third consecutive Emmy nomination, Mythbusters has a whole new line-up of awesome myths for fans, and we’ve got the list!
Fall 2011 myths will include:
- Is it impossible for humans (without a point of reference) to walk in a straight line?
- Are motorcycles better for the environment than cars?
- Can you supersize a Newton’s Cradle to epic proportions?
- If a pigeon lands on the roof of a car, which is hanging precariously over a cliff’s edge, could it provide enough force to send the car plunging over the side?
- In a standoff between a hero with a revolver and a villain with a rocket propelled grenade (as seen in the movie Red), could the bullet trigger the warhead? And would the villain be taken out by the blast?
- Was the “flying guillotine” a lethal ancient weapon — or kung-fu make believe?
- Can you use duct tape to fix a plane that has been mauled by a bear? (As odd as this one sounds, it’s a story that has inundated our fan site message boards for years!)
- Could a methane blast inside a sewer, blow manhole covers tens of feet into the air?
- Some call it indestructible, but can truck bed liners stop an animal attack? Prevent a car from being damaged? Make it bomb-proof?
- A behind-the-scenes look at the special locations MYTHBUSTERS use to in their myth-busting tests, from Alameda to Africa and from the desert to the deep blue sea.
- Explosions. Rocket sleds. More duct tape. Oh… and more explosions!
MYTHBUSTERS By the Numbers:
3 – Number of consecutive Emmy nominations for Best Reality Program (2009, 2010, 2011)
9 – Years of filming (series premiered on Discovery Channel in October 2003)
12 – (Tons, that is) – Poundage of explosives used
128 – Vehicles destroyed
189 – Total episodes filmed to date (including specials)
744 – Explosions
769 – Myths tested to date (425 busted, 179 confirmed, 155 plausible)
2,391 – Experiments tested (approx.)
6,255 – Hours filmed (approx.)
Hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, and Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara, return with all-new fall episodes beginning Wednesday, September 28 at 9PM ET/PT. We’ll be watching! Will you?! What new myths are you the most excited for?